Tuesday, November 5, 2013

How to Care for Succulents in the Winter

 
Do you love succulents as much as I do? I planted several during the spring and summer and talked about them in these posts. One of my favorite pots of succulents is on my front porch. It's in the shade most of the time and out of the wind/elements. However, a couple of weeks ago, we had a couple of cold nights and I brought them inside. These are plants that I want to keep for awhile and you might want to, too. So, here are a few tips for helping your succulents survive the winter.
  • Succulents cannot survive cold temperatures during winter. Bring them inside if you live in an area that gets under 50 degrees Fahrenheit. They have to stay at a temp between 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit, so if you put them in a shed or garage be sure the temp is right. Otherwise, bring them in your house.
  • Succulents need at least 3-4 hours of sunlight per day. They can survive on less during the winter and also survive on indirect sunlight during winter.
  • Water them deeply only once every one or two months. Pour water into soil until it drains out the bottom and then do not water again for up to two months. They do not need as much water in the winter.
  • Do not fertilize during the winter. Too much fertilizer can cause droopy leaves which lead to rot.
My succulents are growing well in my dining room right now which has indirect sunlight and a much cooler temp than anywhere else in my house. I plan to keep them in here for the duration of the colder temps. So far, so good!

Do you have anymore tips for succulent care during the winter? I'd love to hear them!

As always, thank you for stopping by!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and love hearing from each of you!