Friday, June 7, 2013

Broccoli Kale Quinoa {recipe}

With Summer having made its arrival here in the South, I have been looking for some new summer salads and dishes to make. I've been learning to change my eating habits this year and the goal is to eat more of the superfoods and less of the sugary foods. I've witnessed dramatic changes in my health and the way I feel in general, so it's been worth it. This little gem of a recipe would be delicious all year long, but especially in summer. It literally takes about 20 minutes start to finish!

Broccoli Kale Quinoa
{slightly adapted from this recipe}
 
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
 
2 cups broth {for cooking quinoa, can sub water}
 
Cook according to package directions. Takes about 15 minutes or until quinoa has sprouted.
 
2 Tbsp oil
 
1/2 cup onion, chopped {can sub onion powder}
 
2 cloves garlic, minced {can sub garlic salt}
 
1/2 cup broth
 
1 large head broccoli, chopped into small florets
 
1 large bunch of kale, washed & chopped {or two giant handfuls from the bag}
 
Orange bell pepper, chopped {I used 1/2 cup orange sweet pepper}
 
1 cup parmesean cheese, shredded {more or less as desired}
 
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat up 2 Tbsp oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is almost translucent. Add broth, broccoli, kale & peppers. Cover and simmer until kale is just wilted.
 
Place quinoa into a serving dish. Cover with parmesean cheese. Add broccoli/kale mixture to quinoa. Mix carefully. Add more cheese as desired.

This dish is so tasty and so healthy! You might not want to share it.
 
Thanks for stopping by! I'm sharing this recipe with some of these friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and love hearing from each of you!